Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I brought my mountain bike a few years ago and never got it on a trail. I'd love to ride the Slickrock Trail if it's not too technical.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'd rate Slickrock pretty high on the technical scale.

Top of the World would be a good trail for anyone headed east on I70 Sunday. Kind of technical but basiclly an intermediate climb to an amazing overlook.

I reaally want to ride Sunday and maybe Monday but it will probably be too hot to run Porter. So I'm still on the fence.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info. I really dont want to be pressed for time and since this is my first trip to Moab I better stay focussed on wheeling. Maybe I'll bring it to cruise around the campground and find different places to drink.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

You will probably just walk from campsite to campsite. You'll be up early to be on trail and by time and get back to camp it's close to dark. It's long days in the sun. Biking along while the rest of the group drives is generally discouraged. Same with passanger/hikers. Some drivers are worried. It's up to the trail leaders discression but as they are concerned about getting all the rigs and passangers home safely. Concerns over a lost or left behind spouse is not cool. That being said, my Wife often hikes ahead or runs sections of the trail. Use good sense. If she's unfamiliar with an area, that's another story.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Is anyone up for riding the Slickrock loop on Sunday morning?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

There is another easier and shorter mountain bike trails that Moab has just put up more signs and made it an official trails. If you drive north to the place where we have the raffle dinner, drive through the parking lot to the end of the parking lot, there is a sign there about bike trails. Nothing hard, but you can play on the slick rock on the backside of the trails(its a loop trail) and if you have someone drop you off, you can take an easy ride back down to town.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I brought my mountain bike a few years ago and never got it on a trail. I'd love to ride the Slickrock Trail if it's not too technical.
Slickrock is THE definitive technical trail. It is technical start to finish. An absolutely phenomenal trail, but it never lets up. I'd do it with you.

My first CM I brought the bike and hitched a ride up to the top of Porcupine rim with Cheeseman and then Terry and I rode down. I found it to be trying to do too much to ride and wheel. But is was really strange - and still sort of is - to go to Moab with out the bike, since I have been mtn biking there sine 1992! Still, I'd be up for a Sunday morning or Friday ride (I have no trail run Friday). Biking and wheeling same day - too much.

I'd be up for Bartlett Slickrock (have always wanted to get there), Amasa Back (aka Cliffhanger), or Monitor/Merrimac. Slickrock trail too, but the other issue there is crowds. Its just too crowded on weekends anymore.

I have another idea, how about a few of us plan another Moab trip for riding. We can then pile in a few rigs - in my 80 I can hold 4 people and four bikes easily, camp out in a spot accessible to 4x4 (away from crowds) and get in a weekend of rides. Maybe instead do that trip to Fruita.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Rock Stacker

I'm up for planing a seperate trip, I guess it would have to be when it isnt too hot.I'm fairly new at riding but it is really a blast. I am a runner so am in good shape but am not as technocally savy as veteran MTB'ers.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Rising Sun member

The almost final plan for me and my buddy is to do Porcupine Rim on Friday with the shuttle (will probably be passing the CM crew on the trail!) and then Slickrock on Sunday before we head back. If we're feeling up to it, I want to drive most of the way to Top of the World (as far as my 2wd truck will go) and ride the rest of the way to get the view. Anybody is welcome to come, just let me know.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD