Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default goofy electrical...

I'm thinking it's a ground issue and hopefully these things are related to one ground. that's likely not the story But I can hope.

several things suddenly started acting strange. Like...

1. fuel guage doesn't work when starting up the vehicle, sometimes it'll kick on about 20min. after driving...sometimes not.
2. temp guage...similar scenario, but works more regularly
3. wipers no workie.
4. left turn signal indicator will light, but no flashing. rear indicator lights, no blink. Hazards flash, but not the front left. Right side works fine.
5. Horn no workie.

Things I've done:

removed, cleaned and re-ran a ground wire from Left front signal. no change. but it's all cleaner.

horn didn't work about a year ago, I replaced the horn relay then it worked for a while now... no workie...used to work. then stopped.

Haven't messed with guage stuff at all.

Any advice on which ground(s) to maybe start chasing down??
Old 03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Rising Sun Member

probably a ground issue for the temp and fuel gauges:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...ding-unit.html

The horn has a contact that wears in the steering wheel. pull the wheel cover that has the buttons off and check it out..
82 FJ40
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default whoops. Sorry!

Rover thanks for the reply...I neglected to mention...for the Fj40. for the record, if it was the 60, you'd be right on the money. Sorry to miss that oh-so-important fact.

Update: gave a super powerwash, got out the electric contact cleaner, tightened various connections and now...flashers, fuel and temp guage working fine. still no horn, but I now hear the click of the relay. no wipers, but I'm going to clean up the fuse block before anything else. I'm suspiscious that the contacts are corroded/dirty.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

electrical is evil and bad....i wish you luck. i just spent a bunch of time diagnosing my gps power cord only to find out the gps itself has gone south
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Take the entire fuse block out and clean it. I started doing that as the first thing when I brought a 45 home and it saves a lot of time.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've got similar gremlins in my 40 for fuel and temp. I replaced both sending units - that fixed the temp gauge, but not my fuel gauge. For the fuel gauge, I believe I have a short in the instrument cluster somewhere. I've had it out a few times, and once managed to wiggle the wires in just the right way to get the fuel gauge to work, but after a couple weeks it reverted.

So all that said, if both sending units have been determined to be functional, then I'd pull the instrument cluster again and see if you can find any wiring shorts in the gauges themselves.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

What year 40? The new style instrument clusters do have an issue with the contacts breaking at the solder points. Re-solder and that will take care of that one.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default hmmm...interesting...

It's a 77FJ40...and the oil-pressure guage hasn't worked since i got it even though I replaced the sending unit and Robbie swapped guages a while back when he did a bunch of work on it.

I think I should bite the bullet and pull the cluster to replace all the bulbs, check the connections, fix the odometer, etc... Add that to the fuse block project. I'm just praying for big blizzard so I can hang out in the garage. :-)
Old 03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Be sure and check the large ground cable that goes from the battery to the engine block. On my 40 i was getting the same clicking on the horn relay. I cleaned the connection on the ground cable from the battery to the engine block and that improved it but not 100%. I then added another ground cable from that same point on the engine block over to the frame with good clean connections. That fixed my horn and a lot of other minor electrical gremlins similar to what you are experiencing.

The only other thing I did was replace the mechanical flasher with an electronic flasher, made my turn signals work much better. You can use any 2 prong electronic flasher. I bought one at AutoZone for $5.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Rising Sun member

My fuel and temp gauges don't work either sometimes. But sometimes if I tap the instrument cluster they come back. I tried a different instrument cluster backplate (with all the soldered pins and electrical runs) and it still did it. So I think I have a short somewhere in the wiring, which I'm not excited to track down.

Good luck.

If your turn signal flashes once and stays on, then that means you have a bad bulb either front or rear. Sounds like your front bulb is bad.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD