Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Did you run the fuel tank to almost empty and add some Heet? Always a good practice before emissions. I believe it's supposed to help all of your numbers. It did on my 60 that only runs on 5 cylinders.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Did you run the fuel tank to almost empty and add some Heet? Always a good practice before emissions. I believe it's supposed to help all of your numbers. It did on my 60 that only runs on 5 cylinders.
This might or might not work, depending on what the useless emissions nazis are doing to the pass numbers. The testing people understand and know the relationship between all the components, so they are changing the pass/fail criteria to eliminate the chance to sneak by using these tricks.

HEET is just alcohol, which lowers NOx by reducing combustion temps a little. That works when the other measurements are not particularly low because if you lower the combustion temp you reduce combustion efficiency. That will make the byproduct numbers go up, usually HC will see the biggest increase when trying the HEET trick. So if you only fail NOx and the other numbers have a lot of margin, then a couple of bottles might do the trick. But if the HC and CO numbers are close as well, then this trick might help you pass NOx at the expense of failing the other parts. The more sure solution is to retard the ignition a little, do a tune-up (could use slightly cooler plugs), run known good catalytic converters and maybe tighten the valve lash.

Bart's 3FE is running high compression, which is very much of a problem for NOx, as are hotter cams and in general anything that makes your truck more fun to own and drive. It's a pretty clear relationship, higher compression generally = higher NOx production. Stupid government, how they can stand there and expect a car to pass tighter requirements than it was made to originally is pure bull****.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

My brother's '93 FZJ wouldn't pass in Denver until he retarded the timing even more (than the first time) and added 1.5 gallons of E-85 to 7ish gallons in the gas tank. I think his failed on Carbon Monoxide. E-85 is a very cheap way to add alcohol, as opposed to many bottles of HEET.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just went through this (high NOx after they CHANGED THE RULES) with my Father-in-laws V8 Vortec powered Jeep TJ-8.

We messed around a bunch with A/F ratios tuning. while it does run even better now, we wound up putting on a much bigger catalytic converter and it finally passed.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Just went through this (high NOx after they CHANGED THE RULES) with my Father-in-laws V8 Vortec powered Jeep TJ-8.

We messed around a bunch with A/F ratios tuning. while it does run even better now, we wound up putting on a much bigger catalytic converter and it finally passed.
Yeah, the exhaust has an aftermarket cat on it and I'm hearing more and more that they don't hold up very long. All other systems, EGR, ignition, AFM are tested and good with the AFM getting some adjustments in addition to a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane gas that it didn't have for the first test. Timing was a little advanced over stock for the test and is now back to stock and I might retard a little further for the next test. Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll report back when Bart passes the test.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Every time I pass the testing station at 6th Ave and I-25 the sign says the "health" of my vehicle is "Good". I guess I need to drive by the remote trucks more often where I can control my foot on the throttle better than the testers at the emission centers seem to be able to.
Do the road side tests bypass the need to go the the inspection stations?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Yeah, the exhaust has an aftermarket cat on it and I'm hearing more and more that they don't hold up very long. All other systems, EGR, ignition, AFM are tested and good with the AFM getting some adjustments in addition to a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane gas that it didn't have for the first test. Timing was a little advanced over stock for the test and is now back to stock and I might retard a little further for the next test. Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll report back when Bart passes the test.

The cat I put on Ricecake this last time seems to be the shiznit! After burning out several aftermarket cats I seem to have one worthy of the heat my right foot seems to generate. BTW it was Bud himself that talked me into spending a few more $'s and go with the spun cat....

Spun Metallic Cat Converter
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Range 4x4 View Post
Do the road side tests bypass the need to go the the inspection stations?
I drive by the RapidScan trucks all the time and still get the notice that I have to go to the testing station. I think the guys in the trucks just sit there and drink coffee or whatever. I do make sure that I am either going a steady speed or decellerating when going by the trucks but no luck so far with any of our vehicles with bypassing a test at the station.
Uncle Ben, you'll get me to go to Bud's yet, won't you? Thanks for the cat tip as it may just be required.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I drive by the RapidScan trucks all the time and still get the notice that I have to go to the testing station.
What's the story on those? We always get the testing notice, too. If the benevolent emissions overlords accept your rapid dealio you are not sent an emissions test notice? Maybe it's because I tailgate and in hopes they never get my license plates... That's S.O.P. for me, to try and obscure my front plate by squeezing in nice and close to the car in front of me so that photo radar, intersection cameras and all that can't see it. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. I hate big brother surveillance. I also always flip them the bird just in case some jackboot does actually see it.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
What's the story on those? We always get the testing notice, too. If the benevolent emissions overlords accept your rapid dealio you are not sent an emissions test notice?
Correct! When you get your plate renewal notice it will state "No Emission Test Required" I have been exempt from test twice now and I hopefully will get the same news in a couple weeks when the post card should come.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior