Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Talked to my father in law.
Crash: Go to aa performance muffler on broadway near hampden and talk to Scott.

The trick seems to be that cheap cats don't contain iridium. This shop has tested like 50 different cats before they found a good vendor. Bring your checkbook. It won't be cheap.

The other trick is to run race gas. The higher octane burns slower thereby lowering combustion temps and nox.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Rudeboy! The cat that is on there now cam from AA but is about five years old or so but I will give them a call. I have a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane in the tank now. Just brought home the secret weapon from Deano's after helping him stab his new Marlin tranny in his '85 Hilux this morning: the Weld Racing super lightweight wheels with some nearly, but still good enough, worn out BFG AT's that are each about 20 lbs lighter than the Eagle/Yokohamas that are on Bart now. That will help greatly in lessening the load on the engine while it is on the dyno. I'm buying the wheels back from Dean and will probably have some Eagle black rock crusher 15x8 wheels for sale real soon. Still waiting to hear from BVB for some inside poop and passing emissions and I'm sure he will have some good advice as have all the rest of you. Thanks!!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Thanks Rudeboy! The cat that is on there now cam from AA but is about five years old or so but I will give them a call. I have a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 octane in the tank now. Just brought home the secret weapon from Deano's after helping him stab his new Marlin tranny in his '85 Hilux this morning: the Weld Racing super lightweight wheels with some nearly, but still good enough, worn out BFG AT's that are each about 20 lbs lighter than the Eagle/Yokohamas that are on Bart now. That will help greatly in lessening the load on the engine while it is on the dyno. I'm buying the wheels back from Dean and will probably have some Eagle black rock crusher 15x8 wheels for sale real soon. Still waiting to hear from BVB for some inside poop and passing emissions and I'm sure he will have some good advice as have all the rest of you. Thanks!!

Easy, get rid of the anchor and install some domestic fuel injected powa! Problem solved! Vroooom!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Easy, get rid of the anchor and install some domestic fuel injected powa! Problem solved! Vroooom!
Uh, you did that, didn't you UB? How soon after you made that "improvement" did you sell that truck?
Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Uh, you did that, didn't you UB? How soon after you made that "improvement" did you sell that truck?
Good point! It was one of the worse choices I made....selling that truck! I wanted an 80 and the family hated the ugly brown pin striped interior of the 62 and wife put foot down and said one wagon was enough. Seriously, a fuel injected V-8 with 4L60E auto and two t-cases made that truck great! If and when I get another 62 I will do the exact same powertrain and put the whole thing on an 80 frame!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thank you guys again for the help, here are some scans for 3FE EGR test from the '88 FSM if any future searchers come looking to lower their NOx...

My vac modulator caused the vac gauge to creep off 0 ever so slightly when engine cold @ 2500 RPM. I will replace, but I am wondering if this could cause loss of idle when hot...

I need to start a new thread on my 3FE.
Attached Images

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Crash: James' cat was about 3 years old and also from AA Performance.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Can someone post a link to the statute/bureaucratic fiat that changed the Nox levels? I would like to better understand this.