Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 03-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rising Sun Frequencies

Driving home yesterday talking to the Tim(m)s, K0NAK and KD0TIM, something occurred to me, so let's throw this out for discussion.

Our de-facto frequency is 2m simplex 146.460MHz. No reason to change that, it's habit and works fine.

But we were having a tough time keeping the contact going, me being in a hole at Arapahoe and Havana, KD0TIM being up north on US36 (I think) and Nakman I guess being inside a Faraday Cage someplace. That we could talk around at all in a 40 mile range with interference is pretty cool anyway, but might as well take advantage of the radios our fellow hams have setup.

We should have a back-up de-facto repeater to jump to in case simplex isn't working. That will be much more common with Nak moving down into the plains again. So if after a few attempts to hold a contact we're not getting it done, jump to the repeater to finish the QSO. It does no one any good to tie up a frequency with 3 hams TXing at 50W getting 10% of the conversation.

So 145.460MHz? This is the CRA Lee Hill repeater up near Boulder, which is linked to 147.225MHz up on Conifer Mt. I can get into both of them from town, so we should have very good coverage from Ft Collins down to Monument.

145.460MHz, -0.600, W0CRA/R, Lee Hill, CTCSS=107.2
147.225MHz, +0.600, W0CRA/R, Conifer Mtn, CTCSS=107.2

For those using my programming files on their VX-7R or FT-8800:

VX-7R
#355 is simplex 146.460
#140 is repeater 145.460
#150 is repeater 147.225

FT-8800
#60 is simplex 146.460 (this one is tagged RSSIMP)
#6 is simplex 146.460 also
#107 is repeater 145.460
#108 is repeater 147.225

Also on the FT-8800, if you push the #4 button to the upper right of the display your radio will jump to #107 on the left side, #60 on the right side (at low power) with the left side being the active frequency (the one you will TX on). This is hyper memory configuration #4, if you wanted to know. Think of this as a bail-out button, if our QTH on the QSO are causing QRK issues, we can QSY to the repeater to eliminate QRN. Push #4 and you will jump to the 145.460 repeater without much fumbling around whilest operating your mobile station safely and efficiently. :-)

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Now your talking! I hate the 145.145! CRA kicks butt plus you can detach a repeater off the system if you need to have a more closed audience! BTW I am a paid member of the CRA.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I was monitoring the discussion between all three. Dave came in clear the entire time, Nakman would fade in and out, and TimB was very scratchy.

I know I can hit the CCR system but an HT at the same location, same output, cannot.

I'll key up the repeaters and report back:
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

I was driving from north downtown over towards the airport, lost you at about i70 and quebec
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDØTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I can key up both repeaters from here.

pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

Dave, I so look forward to you coming over and helping me make sense of programming this into my radio.

Man. Am I gonna be beer-poor or WHAT?!?
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have a 2800 so I think the dual band stuff is not applicable to me...
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDØTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Whatever we do, we need to make it known to all as a protocol for what to do. A sked, of sorts. IMO, simplex is good, but it really limits the amount of participation. We aren't in the boonies, so the use of a repeater is quite normal. I for one hope the choice made of which repeater system is used is one that is normally quiet, that is to say, not like the 145 repeater.

I have always liked the 146.805 WA2YZT repeater. It is at the broadcast antenna farm site above Golden, is linked to 447.175 and has a completely open IRLP node. Another good thing about that repeater is that a bunch of broadcast engineers hang out there, so the conversation may have reasonable relevance to radio.

We can always hang out at one, and when the traffic becomes too much, go to another. That is part of the reason we switched from 145.145 to simplex in the first place:too much blah, blah traffic.

Another thing we could request is to have a sked on a repeater. We do not necessarily have to have emergency purpose behind a sked, just something on the website (both RS and the repeater we choose) that says we meet there between 9 & 9:30PM on Mondays, for example.

I am glad UB is a card carrying geek (I mean member) of the CRA. We all need to be if we are to use one repeater on a continuous basis. It helps keep things going.

Dave, you on point with this transition?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Not working tomorrow, so a morning ride fer sure and just chores after. Of course beer would seal the deal.
Well of course! Goes without saying. I can throw in a homemade top shelf margarita but you might need to camp in my driveway for a few hours afterward... so mi cervesa es su cervesa.

I may have time mid-afternoon (church in the morning, followed by family lunch; dog class at 5; them's the bookends). Finishing up a little fab project for the pre-run next weekend. I can whip out my laptop and maybe get an accelerated ramp-up on the software to program the dang thing before next weekend, these trips and runs are always good incentive.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

73's to Treeroot whom I caught sitting around his kitchen in his underwear monitoring the 145.46 freq! Nice to have clean airwaves all to yourself!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior