Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Lifted

Default Brake Line Hose Fitting Tricks?

I am in the process upgrading my brake line hoses on my 96 LX450 to a set of Slee hoses and I am having a really difficult time with one of the hoses.

Any one know any tricks for loosening up the fittings? I am struggling with the driver side from frame to axle, top connection. The 10mm wrench is just rounding the fitting. I have been hitting it with PB blaster but it is still not moving. Space is pretty limited around the fitting and I have been resisting using a pair of vice grips because I don't want to bugger up the fitting and have to replace the entire hardline.

Suggestions, tricks?

Thanks!
http://www.coloradobluemountain.com - Drink Local Wine!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

sounds like it may be too late, but have you tried line wrenches? (flare wrenches, open end, but only a small section so they grab most of the sides unlike a regular open wrench)
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Flair wrenches or a box wrench if you have the other end of the line off already. You could try a heat gun to loosen it up.

TLCA# 19853
1982 FJ60
1991 Toyota Paseo 38MPG baby
1995 JettaGLX VR6turbo project car
Old 03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
sounds like it may be too late, but have you tried line wrenches? (flare wrenches, open end, but only a small section so they grab most of the sides unlike a regular open wrench)

Actually I have never heard of one! It makes sense. It might not be to late yet, worst case I have a small file to clean up the nut. I will see if I can locate a line wrench.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_wagon View Post
Actually I have never heard of one! It makes sense. It might not be to late yet, worst case I have a small file to clean up the nut. I will see if I can locate a line wrench.

Thanks!
Everyone should have flare nut wrenches in their tool box! Tubing nuts will flatten with a normal 2 or three side grab wrench because they are hollow!

TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Will,

I had a similar issue last year on one of my bleeders...Tried a standard wrench, crescent, and then a flare wrench with no dice - In the end it was a set of channel locks that finally broke the bastid free...Had to replace the bleeder.

One trick someone suggested at the time was to actually try to tighten it a tad and then loosen the bleeder. That may also have been part of what worked for me.

I know you aren't working on a bleeder but i would think the same process would apply here.

Get the flare wrenches (Harbor Freight sells them) and give it a go but if not, maybe gently working it with channel locks or vice grips. Lock 'em on there and try gently tapping with a small hammer?
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Lifted

Thanks for all the suggestions! I got a line wrench last night but alas it was too late the nut is fubared. Another lesson learned, get the right tool for the job!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Will,

I had a similar issue last year on one of my bleeders...Tried a standard wrench, crescent, and then a flare wrench with no dice - In the end it was a set of channel locks that finally broke the bastid free...Had to replace the bleeder.

One trick someone suggested at the time was to actually try to tighten it a tad and then loosen the bleeder. That may also have been part of what worked for me.

I know you aren't working on a bleeder but i would think the same process would apply here.

Get the flare wrenches (Harbor Freight sells them) and give it a go but if not, maybe gently working it with channel locks or vice grips. Lock 'em on there and try gently tapping with a small hammer?

By all means, use flare nut wrenches on brake line fittings, they are the only way to go, but please, please, please buy at least Craftsman quality ones! Do it really right and buy a single 10mm Snap On if you can. The cheap flare nut wrenches will just flex and really round off the nut when you want the wrench to work in the tightest situations.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
By all means, use flare nut wrenches on brake line fittings, they are the only way to go, but please, please, please buy at least Craftsman quality ones! Do it really right and buy a single 10mm Snap On if you can. The cheap flare nut wrenches will just flex and really round off the nut when you want the wrench to work in the tightest situations.
Agreed Steve but there is the rub...anyone been into a Sears lately? Is it just me, or do they always seem to be out of exactly what you need? Especially the more specialized tools. I've even asked them to order stuff in and they say sure, will do and it never shows up
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Agreed Steve but there is the rub...anyone been into a Sears lately? Is it just me, or do they always seem to be out of exactly what you need? Especially the more specialized tools. I've even asked them to order stuff in and they say sure, will do and it never shows up
You can save yourself the hassle and order S-K tools here:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/catalog.html

This is probably more expensive:
http://www.skhandtool.com/Default.aspx

After all, S-K invented the round head ratchet wrench.
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.