Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm happy with the Xantrex so far but I haven't really loaded it up yet. I think the most power I've pulled through it has been about 300 watts.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Hard Core 4+

You can check out these guys, they carry a full range:
www.invertersrus.com

I understand not buying crap but even Dave admitted that the high-end full sine wave stuff is overkill for intermittant use. For me there is no way I can justify the extra expense.

I know what I plan to run and accept the limitations so I bought a 1200 watt modified-sine Vector. I won't need more than 7-800 watts and hope running below max means longer life.
I realize it is likely built overseas but they are owned by Black and Decker (as is Dewalt) so I feel reasonably confident about the quality (as a much as I can on a "low-end" unit) or at least know the 2 yr warranty has a large company behind it.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Why would an inverter list a, "Max operating altitude 15,000 (4570 m)"?
Air is an insulator. Thin air isn't as good an insulator as sea-level air. No air allow electrons to travel about freely. Avionic and space qualified electronic hardware needs to be coated with conformal insulation to prevent excessive leakage current, or in worst cases, arcing.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Air is an insulator. Thin air isn't as good an insulator as sea-level air. No air allow electrons to travel about freely. Avionic and space qualified electronic hardware needs to be coated with conformal insulation to prevent excessive leakage current, or in worst cases, arcing.
In this case it's a cooling issue rather than requirement for conformal coating. Thin air is less efficient for cooling than sea level because lower density air provides less convective cooling. The military has experimented with compressed air at high altitude to cool electronics to alleviate overheating. We conformal coat space electronics more to prevent tin and zinc whisker and lead dendrite growth, not so much direct ionization. The whisker growth does lead to shorting, arcing and plasma creation, which can definitely cause headaches and failures.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
In this case it's a cooling issue rather than requirement for conformal coating. Thin air is less efficient for cooling than sea level because lower density air provides less convective cooling. The military has experimented with compressed air at high altitude to cool electronics to alleviate overheating. We conformal coat space electronics more to prevent tin and zinc whisker and lead dendrite growth, not so much direct ionization. The whisker growth does lead to shorting, arcing and plasma creation, which can definitely cause headaches and failures.
That's an excellent point, especially considering most inverters operate with forced air cooling. When I designed power supplies we were more concerned with leakage current on the control side messing up the feedback and with arcing on the output side. Thermal considerations are always a concern in higher power applications though - among the designs I used to do were multi kW units to run high power lasers, and of course audio amps for my own use. But the really high voltage units (ion generators, cow prods, mass spectrometers, etc.) were the most fun - 10kV and higher. Then you really get into cool arcing. In a mass spectrometer, when you pump out the air and get into high vacuum situations the electrons pretty much run free and you have to control everything with magnetic fields and insulation.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Why would an inverter list a, "Max operating altitude 15,000 (4570 m)"?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9&classNum=678

Heat dissipation
Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

just bought one of these:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=2905

from here:

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...er_id=!ORDERID!

We'll see how it works!
82 FJ40
Old 04-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I picked up a Tripp Lite on ebay a couple weeks ago, got it hooked up to the 80 today. I like it so far, the fan doesn't run continuous which is a nice upgrade. So far so good...

here's a similar one if anyone else needs one http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripp-Lite-1800-...item43a62fa37a
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Sweet Tim!

FWIW, I ended up cancelling the order I placed with the store that I posted and got mine from Ebay too.

I like mine, and so far it has worked fine...

Blender at camp with Farnham - Check
Sawzall - Check
Crock pot - Check
Allison's Hair Drier - Check
82 FJ40
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey did you connect anything to the ground that's below that plug on the right? Should I jumper a wire from there over to the big ground on the back side?

www.gamiviti.com