Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Type T-IV Transmission Fluid

I drained the '04 4Runner transmission and dropped 4 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF in it. I was looking through the manual trying to find the capacity to figure out how many drains/refills I'll need to do and to my horror, saw that the type of fluid that it takes is this T-IV stuff. I don't know why I just assumed it was Dexron derivative but I did.

Now the Mobil 1 label says it is "suitable" for use in applications where T-IV is specified: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

I've seen some other "sky is falling" proclamations on the internet for those who have done what I just did. My question is, is it ok in there or should I have the miserable thing flushed with T-IV? Already dumped $35 of fluid into it.

Paul
Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

The mobil is probably ok to use, still recommend t4, but t4 doesn't mix well with any other trans fluid. t4 is a semi-synthetic. I have always preached that the trans is engineered around the fluid it originally came with, ie the clutch discs inside.

I would probably have it flushed. Spendy but cheaper than a trans.

hth, ben
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccumber View Post
Now the Mobil 1 label says it is "suitable" for use in applications where T-IV is specified: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx
Is Mobil willing to back that with a warranty that says you get a new tranny if yours fails? If not, then I would suggest that a statement of suitability is worth what the Internets page it's written on cost to view.
Quote:
My question is, is it ok in there or should I have the miserable thing flushed with T-IV? Already dumped $35 of fluid into it.
Hmmm, $35 or $3500? I wonder if Toyota just renamed Dexron IV to T-IV or is it different? I dunno, I honestly don't. Not knowing, I would stick with the Mothership until I could figure it out. I know as well as anyone that all these codes, specs and what-not are as often written at the direction of a marketing department to guarantee demand for your stuff, but they are also a guideline from engineering. So I guess you have to figure that to your satisfaction. I personally don't have a problem using non-SAE graded engine oils that fail to meet zinc content guidelines. I think old junk like ours actually is being done a disservice by using the very modern oils that have too little wear protection for engines designed to use oil technology from 20, 30 and 40 years ago.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Mobil one meets the JWS 3309 requirements(Toyota T-IV) So you should be fine. Mobile one does not meet the Toyota World fluid they now require in some of the newer vehicles. I got most of this from Bob is the oil guy. Bill Van Beek may be able to give a better Toyota stand point. But it looks like if they meet the requirements, warranty still is in place if you still have one. It seem like from what I have read, people experence better cold shift patterns and a smoother tranny experence.
I googled Toyota T-IV fluid and got my info. I think you should be fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I did ask Mobil why just a couple months ago the silver bottles of Syn ATF didn't claim support and now the black bottles do. Here is the response:

Paul,

The Mobil1 AT was just reformulated a couple of months ago, if the
bottle does not state that it meets Toyota Type T-4, take it as it does
not meet this requirement you may have the older product.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

MJ