Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Hard Core 4+

Question Adjusting my TPS it is on and running

So I installed my TPS unit a few days ago and the truck runs pretty good. This is what I have to ask;

I think I got it, It has a little stumble around 2500 rpm but very little. I was wondering if I can adjust the tps on the fly so to speak. Can I have the engine running and adjust the TPS and then check the throttle response? The other thing I can't find is the plug that you have to jump afterwards. There are two plugs that look like they should be the ones but don't want to mess it up.

There is a plug that has two slots and one that has three slots but only two are used. They say to jump it with a paperclip or something similar. I would try either one but am in fear that I will blow a fuse or something else.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Robbie, thanks for all your help in Moab. It gave me nearly all the info and confidence to do this. I did it the long way but it was worth it as I know more now, thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Hard Core 4+

22R-E, right? You don't adjust the TPS while running, it's a feeler gage and screwdriver affair. There are two distinct regions that the TPS will sit, one is idle and the other is the linear throttle region. There is a crossing point and you will see your ohm meter jump when the wiper crosses it and it's just a few millimeters off the end stop.

It takes a little patience to get the set screws and TPS rotation right so that the throttle body butterfly turns into idle region, so I do the TPS setting with the dashpot removed and the throttle cable off. I also replaced the OEM set screws with ones with allen heads, particularly the one facing forward is a PITA to do with a screwdriver. I find an allen key with a ball head is easier to fiddle with. Some people never get it right and they never tell the ECU to go into idle, so it's pretty touchy.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yep, it is NOT an adjust-by-feel or adjust-by-sound item. Feeler gauges only. And the jumper must be in place to take the ECM into tune mode, same as with timing.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Hard Core 4+

I think I got it right the very first time. When I set it up last Wednesday and took it for a run on Thursday I never let it really warm up. When I drove it today and let it warm up a little it ran nearly perfect. I did not have a stumble nor any other problems. I do need to buy that allen head set up like 4Crawler advertises, just in case. Next time I drive by the Metric bolt store or an Ace I will pick a couple of them up and replace the screws. Wish I had them when I had it all apart.

Thanks for the info, hopefully it will all run fine now.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I did not have the jumper in place but it runs fine. Should I redo it with the jumper? The truck ran fine before the TPS went out and it ran fine once it came of idle.

I still don't know which of the two plugs I need to jump, any ideas?

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

It should be the plug with only two wires. You know it is the correct plug if the check engine light is flashing once it is jumped and should stop when jumper is removed.
Good luck with the fine tune. Art
Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Yep, it is NOT an adjust-by-feel or adjust-by-sound item. Feeler gauges only. And the jumper must be in place to take the ECM into tune mode, same as with timing.
I'm missing what you are saying Bill. The first part about feeler gauges is right. When adjusting the TPS, it is only electrically connected to the ohm meter.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks, I didn't want to plug into the wrong one. Guess I will head out to the garage again for some fine tuning.

Quote:

TLCA #6136

Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I'm missing what you are saying Bill. The first part about feeler gauges is right. When adjusting the TPS, it is only electrically connected to the ohm meter.
That was true on my TPS, which I installed and set on the bench. There are 4 tabs inside the connector on the TPS where you take your measurements. You have the TPS connector pulled off. You can diagnose the TPS circuit from inside the cab by measuring voltage at the ECU, but that's not the procedure to set it.

FWIW, I just used stainless allen head bolts that I got at A&A, nothing fancy.

Also a misadjusted TPS might run fine (or even great) and you may never know except that you get crappy fuel economy or maybe an off chance of failing an emissions test. You read often on Yotatech and stuff where people set their limit screws wrong and never actual go into real idle, they just use the bypass screw on the throttle body to turn the idle down to ~1000 RPM. Might mess up the cold start high idle, I dunno.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Just part of the tune procedure, to jumper T and E1. If things can't be made to run right at tune idle, something else is wrong.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

Good idea to check for any codes, Tom. You may need to pull the fuse and clear what is currently stored, then go wheelin' for a while!
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.