Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Ideas for rear seats? kid content.

I am slowly trying to convert the 40 into a three passenger vehicle. I don't forsee our new kiddo making this season but next season should be attainable.

First, can I see your kid friendly 40 backseats/setups? Thanks!

Second, here is my thinking for mods over the next year:

1. Install full family cage (maybe Metal tech or homebuilt).
2. Harnesses/quality belts up front and out back.
3. Some sort of rear bench seat, like Mastercraft, or a fold and tumble.

I am convienced that the cage is next on the list. Probably wont make this season but could probably get it in early fall/winter. I feel comfortable welding at this point, enough to put my life on the line, but what about designing a cage. I don't want a jungle gym on top of the 40 but I am guessing there is enough knowlege here to knock out a safe/nice looking cage?

Thanks!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

The Metaltech cages you mention look really stout and since you have the welding skillz, you could order one of their kits and weld it together yourself. Let them do all the designing, measuring, bending of tube while you can concentrate on sparks and baby poo.

'85 FJ60
Old 04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Premier Racing Products makes carseat sized and kid sized five point seats. If I had a 40 I'd bolt these into a cage with five points once I was out of rear facing carseat stage.

First pic is carseat sized, second is kid sized just sitting in my old XJ. I was going to bolt four of these into the cage in my old XJ before I realized I was insane, sold it, and bought an 80
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
The Metaltech cages you mention look really stout and since you have the welding skillz, you could order one of their kits and weld it together yourself. Let them do all the designing, measuring, bending of tube while you can concentrate on sparks and baby poo.
I was going to say the same thing. Mark at MT has already figured this out, and his cages are nothing short of gorgeous when welded up properly., which you can do. When I had a 40 Jim at Solid Rock welded mine up, and he pieced together the back portion and made it low enough that the soft top bows would fold back without having to be undone, something I thought was important.

As for securing the car seat, I had some mounts bolted into the floor, with backing plates underneath. Other mounts were just eyelets into the cage itself. No, they weren't rated to anything spectacular, whatever a 1/2" bolt is. I think Gavin only wheeled in the 40 a couple times and he rode in front though both times, just using the car seat and seat belt in the front seat. They didn't have air bags back then, so front seats are less of a risk, though your risk tolerance may be different than mine, I always thought the bigger risk was just taking the 40 in the first place, and do I have enough food & diapers to make it until someone comes and gets me if the dang thing breaks down.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys!

Hulk, wasn't (isn't) your 40 baby ready out back?

Drew

Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

Here is a picture from the 40s Run with Jake and Charlie in the back of the Hulk. I don't have any picture of the mooring but I'm sure Matt can elaborate.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dont see nothing Jeff?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post
Dont see nothing Jeff?
I had to resize it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

TLCA#4180
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew,

My plan has been 5+ yrs in the making so take it for what it is worth

My suggestion, get a fold and tumble Heep seat and call it good (many brands are available). If you want to go with something else here is what I have been toying with:

1) Front bucket seats from a Chevy Trailblazer
Pros: they have integrated seat belts, have a high back, and they fit (looked at many seats with integrated belts and these were pretty much the only that I could find would fit).
Cons: they are high (sort of look out of place); mounting them requires some fab work (not a problem for you ); no fold and tumble; and they are heavy and BIG, leaving little room for anything else in the back (again, not a problem for you since you have that awesome trailer)
2) Middle row seats out of a early model Dodge Durango
Pros: Smaller; semi high back; fold and tumble; mounting should be relatively easy; and I "believe they will fit"
Cons: No integrated seat belts
I had a '99 Dodge Durango and at one time measured the middle row seats and I believe, with the middle section cut out (they are a 40/20/40 setup) they will fit in the 40 between the wheel wells. I even went so far and bought 2 sets of middle row seats. That is as far as I have gotten so far though . I also picked up a set of the 3pt seat belts for the middle row seats out of a Durango so I would have 3pr seat belts attached off the family cage. Some day I might even get around to actually mocking something up to see how it looks (I've been waiting until I take the hard top off which hasn't happened since I bought the 40 and put the top on)

In the end IMHO it will cost you more to come up with something different than an off the shelf solution unless you can find what you need in a salvage yard. I can't remember what the Trailblazer or Durango seats cost me but it was probably close to any one of the off the shelf solutions you can find. I just had to be different for some reason (that and I wanted higher back seats for the kid's car seats).

Anyway, here are a bunch of MUD threads that I had bookmarked from back when. The first one shows what the Trailblazer seats look like mounted. The guy that owns that 40 contacted me after seeing a post I made about the Trailblazer seats. He ended up buying and installing a set (obviously way ahead of me ever getting around to doing so ).

Trailblazer Seats

Rear Bench Seats #1

Rear Bench Seats #2

Rear Bench Seats #3

Rear Bench Seats #4
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater