Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I know you have said this before, Jeff, but this is a different era of safety regulations. Considering seat belt laws and child seat laws, it may not be legal to buckle in a child seat that is meant to face backward (for infants and babies up to 1 y.o.) or face forward (for all other kids seats, including boosters) into a jump seat that would have the child facing sideways.

When I was a kid, I used to ride in the rumble seat of my Dad's Model A Ford (really). I wonder what the law would say about that these days?
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WØRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I know you have said this before, Jeff, but this is a different era of safety regulations. Considering seat belt laws and child seat laws, it may not be legal to buckle in a child seat that is meant to face backward (for infants and babies up to 1 y.o.) or face forward (for all other kids seats, including boosters) into a jump seat that would have the child facing sideways.

When I was a kid, I used to ride in the rumble seat of my Dad's Model A Ford (really). I wonder what the law would say about that these days?
Good point on the legalities, I really don't know. I know that for adults, you only need what came with the vehicle when it was built, and be buckled up.

When I was a kid my sister and I used to ride in the "way back" of the family station wagon. But from a more practical "what would happen if?" standpoint, when I rolled my 40 at 45 MPH on pavement, the kids weren't in there, but the kid seats were, and it was clear that the kids would have been fine had they been there. I was belted up, and climbed out the (shattered) side window with nothing more than a scratch on my finger. The factory roll bar did its job, and the entire rear compartment was fine. A frontal collision would probably not have been as good with the side forces on their heads and necks.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew,

I was looking at this one a while back:

TrailMax II

IIRC - The one designed for the TJ is 41" across, which would be a tight fit between the wheel wells - but possible.

Pros: Fold and tumble, similar styling, and integrated head rests for when the kid graduates to a booster.

Cons: No seat belts - gotta figure that one out.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks everyone, this gives me a lot to go on.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Trail Ready

I am Very Happy with the Way my Rear seats came out!

http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...-sidekick.html

You could add some harness mounts with a spreader behind them, and when the kiddos are not in the truck they fold forward or Flat.. Even Adults have been impressed with the comfort!

Dont Forget Redline in your Cage Decision Process, let me know if you have any questions
Old 04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Drew,

Yet another option

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/seatbenchfj40.html

Same seat Matt posted up (Bestop TrailMax II) but CCOT has gone ahead "and designed a custom FJ40 seat mounting and seat belt system" for it...at a premium of about $200 of course...Not sure if the "prop stick" is part of the Bestop seat or a CCOT addition as well.

I like those seats but to me they seem to sit too low to the floor
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Lifted

I am currently working on my 40/buggy cage and am planning to have provisions for a child racing seat in the rear. One thing that I didn't see you provide was if you are running belts or harnesses. After building quite a few cages and rigs I would recommend that either the seats and belts/harnesses are all bolted to the same structure. When I build cages for people I always put in seat craddles and harness bars. This is so if the cage were to seperate from the body you stay secured in the part that is designed to protect you. I have seen too many people bolt their seats to the body and their harnesses to the cage, thus major injury if the cage were to seperate!

May be kinda off topic, but nobody brought it up, just something to think about!
TLCA # 18487
Fj-40 Buggy Thinggy
'86 4-Runner DD/Easy trail rig
'03 Ford tow vehicle
'03 LR Disco II (the car)