Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Head gasket gone bad?

I always wondered what milky oil looked like, until tonight.

When trying to chase down some potential reasons why I have oil in my air cleaner housing, I popped off the oil fill cap. There was a white frothy substance on the underside.

I changed the oil four days ago and then drove it home (~30 miles), then did another round trip of about 30 miles a couple days ago.

8 days ago I popped out my front two head bolts and put on my power steering pump, just making sure it went on good so I don't run into problems while my truck was down for the conversion. Well it looks like my plan has backfired. I torqued and retorqued the head bolts to make sure they were ok.

I guess my first mistake is taking out two head bolts out of sequence...shame shame shame on me.

Okay, so what do I need to do? If I take off the head again will it need to be milled again? Or do I check it before I take it in? Should I try changing the oil again just to make sure it wasn't just some residual coolant that got in the oil when the seal on the head broke when I loosened the bolts?

Is it okay for me to drive home, about 35 minutes? Or do I need to tow it there?

sigh, my fault...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I really doubt that it's the 2 head bolts to put on a ps pump, but it could be. You could do all the regular hg issue checks but if you have the milky oil in the oil cap i'd just pull the head. you either have a crack in it or it's the hg.

bummer.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't have any answers to your questions about what next, but just wanted to post up that I too never new what was meant by milkshake until I saw it in your oil cap and the hose going into the air cleaner.

Not a question for Matt, but for others with head issue experience. Presuming the debugging process gets to the point the head needs to come off, is it possible to use a straight edge to determine if there is any need to mill the head?
TLCA #18941
Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
is it possible to use a straight edge to determine if there is any need to mill the head?
yes. that's what the machine shop does. Problem is I don't have one that is long enough to measure a 2f head.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

How recently was the head milled? If recently: Since then, have you overheated the engine or done anything that would make you suspect that you have warped the head? If not, then pull the head and inspect. If everything looks good, you can probably replace with a Toyota OEM head gasket, if available.

I'm with Wes: I doubt your recent two-bolt loosen and then retighten is the cause of this.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Rising Sun member

Hm.

No overheating, i'd have to check the records but there's definitely less than 10,000 miles on it since I last had it off and milled/rebuilt (just before CM '07).

Other checks? Compression check? How much can I drive it/have the engine running? Will coolant in the oil make the bearings seize?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

There could be other causes, especially with the weather we've had lately. Were your 30 miles trips continuous, or was it broken up into shorter trips? Short trips, coupled with heavy moisture/humidity in the around or on the ground can cause some moisture buildup near the cap. I've seen a number of Tacomas have this issue (albeit most were east coasters). If you have no other symptoms, it could be something less severe than a head gasket.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
No overheating, i'd have to check the records but there's definitely less than 10,000 miles on it since I last had it off and milled/rebuilt (just before CM '07).
What brand head gasket did you use when you did the head? There is a significant difference between brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Will coolant in the oil make the bearings seize?
No. I'm going to pull a Bill Morgan here and say, "DAMHIK."

One great thing about the old 2F engines: they hold 8 quarts of oil.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Is the oil in the sump milky? If not then don't jump to pull the head. The slime near the fill cap could be related to a malfunctioning PCV system.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
Is the oil in the sump milky? If not then don't jump to pull the head. The slime near the fill cap could be related to a malfunctioning PCV system.
We did see milkshake slime on the hose from the manifold up to the air cleaner as we were noodling on how oil could be making it into the air cleaner. Then after seeing that went to check the oil filler cap where we found it as well.

Matt did indicate that he had removed the PCV and confirmed that it allows air out one side and does not allow it in the other. This seems like a reasonable test. Are there other diagnostics that could be done with a PCV valve or is one of those items that when it doubt you just replace?
TLCA #18941