Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 04-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Bill, are you saying that Tim and I should just not have bothered to offer our input because we don't have trucks the same as Dave's? That's a new twist.
"Garsh, capt'n, I weren't aimin' ta shoot y'all down now... really I weren't... say capt'n what're ya doin' with that there loaded pistol now? Now, capt'n... "

No, I didn't say ignore the info, just take the truck into account.

In other words, what you guys say about drilled or vented being OK or not OK in the dirt is valuable and obviously true across all models. Whether they represent an improvement over stock or not in terms of braking force, or whether they warp more easily, *may* be true across most or all models, maybe not. Depends on what you started with, size of calipers, size of MC, size of booster...

As a for-instance: that's why I threw that out about the 96+ 4Runner. I've never warped a rotor on my 4Runner and in fact never needed to turn a rotor really on any '87 - '93 minitruck I've owned. My wife's '97, on the other hand.... the brake systems are very different. So my experience with the '97 regards warping is no help to Dave, but if I had tried slotted or drilled in the dirt, that would apply.

SeewhutImeanVern? Heck I'd NEVER tell someone to ignore Crash!
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
True, but IFS trucks have always had vented rotors. But 1986 that was pretty much a given.

DBA rotors look to be significantly more (around $20) than the price I get at Burt. Loyalty certainly seems to pay off...
I need a quick reference list to refer to when it comes to minitruck differences, so I'll know that IFS trucks have vented rotors before blindly speaking out of place. Excuse me.

Also, I forgot that you and Dean get the even better than usual discount from Burt so if you find the price there to be better it seems that would indicate the end of the discussion.

Last edited by Crash; 04-16-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
"Garsh, capt'n, I weren't aimin' ta shoot y'all down now... really I weren't... say capt'n what're ya doin' with that there loaded pistol now? Now, capt'n... "

No, I didn't say ignore the info, just take the truck into account.

In other words, what you guys say about drilled or vented being OK or not OK in the dirt is valuable and obviously true across all models. Whether they represent an improvement over stock or not in terms of braking force, or whether they warp more easily, *may* be true across most or all models, maybe not. Depends on what you started with, size of calipers, size of MC, size of booster...

As a for-instance: that's why I threw that out about the 96+ 4Runner. I've never warped a rotor on my 4Runner and in fact never needed to turn a rotor really on any '87 - '93 minitruck I've owned. My wife's '97, on the other hand.... the brake systems are very different. So my experience with the '97 regards warping is no help to Dave, but if I had tried slotted or drilled in the dirt, that would apply.

SeewhutImeanVern? Heck I'd NEVER tell someone to ignore Crash!
Yup, I see what you mean. It all depends. Makes for a lively discussion and something that shouldn't be entered into with mintruck driving engineers without some serious forethought.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Yup, I see what you mean. It all depends. Makes for a lively discussion and something that shouldn't be entered into with mintruck driving engineers without some serious forethought.
Now that you mention that, sure does seem the eggheads trend towards minis. Subzali, Red_Chili, yours truly. Weird. :-/

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
Now that you mention that, sure does seem the eggheads trend towards minis. Subzali, Red_Chili, yours truly. Weird. :-/
Noticed that you didn't include Cheeseman in your list, Dave. His head is eggshaped.
Where's that little icon that indicates a slide right on outta here?
Now watch, when Greg gets back from Europe, my trail leader assignments will change to leading Chicken Flats all three days. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Rising Sun member

I think this is what you want Steve...

...or something to that effect

But now then Dave's making a little bit of a blanket statement throwing me in with all the darksiders...I'm not sure a (inherited) 2wd mini counts for much. 'Specially pretty much 100% stock. Oh well I guess I cross a lot of party lines
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

You know you are a darksider wannabe... you know you are...

Why, even UB can't get away from mini parts, like a drunk can't get away from the sauce...

KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:

Why, even UB can't get away from mini parts, like a drunk can't get away from the sauce...

Bill, if you are referring to me then I can tell you I'm no wannabe. I have driven Dean's '80 on the trail and had the opportunity to buy an '85 in great shape from a neighbor at a very good price and passed. Pissed the guy off, as a matter of fact, because he wanted to pass the truck along to a Toyota guy and offered it to me at a giveaway price. I'm just a full sized American that likes the comfort of the larger, whale, if you will, sized Cruisers. There is no doubt in my mind, after having ridden and driven to and from Rubithon last year with Cheeseman in his awesome 4Runner, that the minitruck truly is the Son of Land Cruiser and the heritage is obvious. That the minitruck can wheel the snot out of any trail is a given and, due to its 3/4 scale size, can go places a full size truck can't without exposing more of its body parts to danger. I'm just a Cruiser guy, through and through and if you had full-sized dogs you might be more inclined to be a Cruiser guy too.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:

Because of it it now burns really bad when I pee but I'm certain Steve can help with with a proper exorcism to remove all the dark demons who have scarred my good judgment!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 04-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I'm just a Cruiser guy, through and through and if you had full-sized dogs you might be more inclined to be a Cruiser guy too.
LOL! The Taz is a husky K9 and prefers (as near as I can tell) the back seat of the XtraCab a lot more than getting thrown around in the back of a FJ40. Now the Luxo Road King of SUVs (i.e. Bart or any 80), well I'm sure it would like the back of the 4Runner but better, which he likes a whole lot. Could be that the entry jump up for him is about a foot and half lower, though...

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler