Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Route to E-hill

I'm signed up for the Elephant Hill run on Thursday, and had a couple questions. Is the "standard" route to get to the trailhead to take 191 south from Moab to 211, and then take 211 west into the Park/trailhead? If so, is there a logical place on that route where I could meet up with someone and safely leave a car for the day?

I ask because my wife and kids are going to be coming up from Cortez (through Monticello) to meet up with me mid-week. They were going to come to Moab on Wednesday afternoon, but I might try to make a plan and just meet them Thursday morning near US191 and 211 since its on their route to Moab and would save them an extra 80 mile round trip.

I'm not sure who's leading the run that day, but if any of you that have done it with CM have some suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

The parking area at Newspaper Rock would work for that purpose. It's about half way between 191 and the park entrance, plus it is a REALLY cool place.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

And the group will be stopping there anyway, so you won't impact schedule (always important on that run, and leaders have been known to get fussy about such things).
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun member

if that doesn't suit you you could pay to get into the park and park at the ranger station near the entrance.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

What are the time gates for the run?

Leave Moab at X am
At the trailhead airing down at Y am
Moving by Z am
Old 04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
if that doesn't suit you you could pay to get into the park and park at the ranger station near the entrance.
I would think the visitor center\ranger sta would be better than Newspaper rock too. I don't remember the rough times. Cheeseman/hulk/brucemiller would be your best info.
TLCA#4180
Old 04-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

The parking lot at Newspaper Rock is too small to leave your car for the day. Best bet would be to call them and ask if you would need to pay a double entrance fee to park your car at the big parking lot at the visitor's center. Their phone number is 435-719-2313. You can also contact them by email.

I wouldn't personally have any issue with leaving my own car on 211 near the intersection where you turn off from 191. There is plenty of space to do so. It would make an easy spot to meet the group, since we usually stop there to let the slower vehicles catch up to the leaders and make sure no one misses the turn.

We usually depart at 7:00 a.m. sharp from the south end of Moab. You can calculate the mileage to the intersection of 211 and figure how long it will take you to get there at 50 mph.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

50 MPH! MAN were going to be flying! I better make sure the ol' 40 is going to be up to it for that length of time
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 04-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Trail Ready

It's about 37 miles from Moab to the 211 turnoff. On past trips, we've left Moab at 7:00 AM and are usually at or near the 211 turnoff about 8:00AM, give or take a little due to traffic or letting slower drivers catch up.

From the 211 turnoff, it's about another 31 miles to the trailhead but that's slower driving than on 191 plus we usually stop at the Newspaper Rock parking lot to see the pictographs and use the outhouse. We are usually airing down at the visitor's center parking lot about 9:00AM give or take, again, since some visit the last flushing toilet of the day. From the Visitor's Center, it's about another 10 minute drive to the trailhead.

My choice for where to park a car for the day would be the Visitor's Center parking lot. Even if you have to pay for both cars, I'll bet it's the safest.

1991 FJ80 converted to an HDT with an A442, Safari intercooler, 3" exhaust, factory Toyota subtank, 3" lift, 285's, Warn 9500xi, rear drawer system, 42qt Engel fridge. This rig is currently for sale
Old 04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
Rising Sun Member

Very good info - thanks all!