Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Sounds like fun. I didn't make it - power has been off up here since yesterday morning and only just came back on late this afternoon. I ended up sleeping in. Reminded me of the blizzard of '03 - no power, no phone, no heat, no internet. We made a nice fire last night and heated up dinner on a camp stove, served by candle light.

Troublesome Gulch is a dead end. What you guys should have done would have been to take Grapevine Hill from Idledale - it goes straight to Genessee. Kerr Gulch might have worked, but with I-70 closed they might not have let you on.

I spent a goodly portion of yesterday afternoon/evening strapping my neighbors up the hill. I even got myself into a ditch and ended up winching out. If this storm had been a "normal" and not so warm I bet we would have had 5 feet. I saw on the news just now that Rollinsville got something like 50". I wonder how Terry is doing?

My main complaint about the power being off is that I had a bunch of pre-Moab wrenching I had planned for today which got nixed, but I am so (knock on wood!) glad it has finally been restored!

Happy cruisin'!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

I listened on the Vail repeater for a little while, thought I might catch someone. I was able to speak to gmann at the event with a similar technology called cellular phone. While not as cool as my Yeasu. It's almost as clear as if he were sitting next to me in the truck. Glad everyone had fun. I wanted to make it but the roads just wern't gonna let it happen. So I had to ski instead.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Just returned from Utah. Thanks Nakman for organizing this, and thanks Dave for helping me learn to program my radio. I monitored the CCR's all the way in to Utah.

I had no power from 6:00am on Friday and still no power on Monday morning when we left for Utah. Brook Forest got 47 inches of heavy wet snow and we lost a few trees to the weight. I was stoked to find power again when we returned last night.

'85 FJ60