Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Goodyear MT/R or Toyo M/T???

I'm looking at getting new tires for my 80, and the two contenders are the Goodyear MT/R or the Toyo M/T.

I have experience witht the MT/R and have seen it preform. I've just noticed the Toyo M/T and it looks like a great tire. It is said to have a stronger sidewall, quieter and better wear. Con's are it weighs more ( 76lbs vs MT/R 63lbs)

Anyone have any experience with the Toyo??? thoughts? I'll be putting on a 315/75/R16...

thx

Toyo M/T
Size
LT315/75R16

Weight
76 lbs

Tread Depth
21/32

Size

Width

Max Load
3860 lbs.

Goodyear MT/R

Size Weight Tread Depth Size Width Max Load
315/75 PR16

Weight
62 lbs

Tread Depth
19/32

Size

Width

Max Load
3195 lbs

TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Only things I've heard about Toyos have been positive.. there was a recent thread in the 80's section of ih8mud about them, did you see that? Of course, I've only heard good things about Goodyears too.. but when you drop >$225 per tire you're going to like the results, no matter what. I vote Toyo's, FWIW.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

The Toyos will be more unique, so you will be a and people will over your rig.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Toyo's usually get the thumbs up from pro wrenchs... Didn't know they made an M/T.

FWIW, I have been running Toyos on the Civic (not the M/T's) for ~ 3.5 years and think they have yet to wear...

From the specs you posted it looks like the Toyo is a bigger, heavier duty tire. If price is close, I'd go Toyo...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Toyos tread design looks like is was patterned off the MT/R with a lean to the traditional MT tread design. Just guessing here...the MT/R is probably a better rock tire, and the Toyo MT is probably a better mud tire.

Any reason TRXUS MT's are not on your list? I went with TRXUS because of the onroad snow capability, which is unbelievable, without sacrificing a quiet ride or all the good offroad capability.

I seriously considered MT/R's, but I don't think I'll ever find the limits in an 80 where the extra rock capability is discernible, and I've always had doubts about the MT/R in severe winter conditions (I seem to have a high probability for unintended winter misadventures with my family, so I plan for this )

Nay
Old 03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

I am running the 35" MT/R's and I love them. I went from Swampers to Goodyears, bias ply to radial, thornbirds to MT/R's... as you can imagine, I felt like I got a new ride!

I looked at all the tires out there, the Goodyears have a very impressive side wall, and mine are wearing really well, and mine is a DD.

FWIW, I bought mine online at Summit Racing and Walmart can get the MT/R's if you special order them, but then you can get the lifetime balance and rotation, they had a great price too.

I have heard the MT/R's are hard to find right now, but that might only be the 35x12.50's.

Either way you go, they are great tires.

Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Toyos are great tires! A big bonus in the 315 department is MT/R's are the shortest actual size of any the radials out there and Toyo's tend to be much closer to advertised size. You gotta actually measure them as the published sizes lie!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hmm...I'm leaning more towards the Toyo's...plus i'm getting quoted a chunk cheaper on price...which was surprising as to what I had read online.

I had read online a lot about the Trxxus wearing pretty quickly but haven't had a ton of people coming up and telling me to stay away from them.

hmmmm....
TLCA#15530

96 285's OME 's ride
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Trxxus do wear quickly, but work well. Mileage at those prices is important to me.

Toyos or MT/Rs are both high quality, good functioning tires. I love my MT/Rs in all conditions.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have the MT/R's and I have had the trxus in the past (wear real quickly, but talk Uncle ben about his side wall experence). I will be trying the Toyo's next toward the end of summer when I get the last out of the set of MT/R I have. Or I may try the Cooper Discovery SST's. These have a 3 ply side wall as well and the thrid ply is at a 30 degree angle to the rest, almost like a mix between bias and radial. It may improve side wall tears some what. While the Mt/r have been great, I have gottne 3 side wall punctures in one summer(that was a costly summer). My trxus set wore teriably and I was a slave to keeping them balanced and rotated. I finally got rid of them(justin morgan has them now I beleive), I did not like them for the loss of fuel ecomany and wear, and the extra work involved in them.
So I will either get the Toyo or the Cooper in the late summer( after I save my money, I will also be looking to go to 37's in either tire), the Mt/R in a 35 is small and I am tire of it. later robbie