Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Families @ CM 09...

I have never been to CM and am considering bring the entire family (wife and three kids; 10, 8, 7). I also have a '40 that only seats two (at least at the moment). Other than the Friday Museum and Picnic outing what other things are there for the wife kids to do?

Also, I have a campsite that is 14x14. I would like to think this is 14 meters x 14 meters but know better. My wife is concerned about the small site as we usually camp in the back country. I have explained that Slickrock is the CM headquarters but she is still freaked out by the small site (she had to work at a KOA when she was 12 and still has not gotten over it).

Are others bringing their families? I'm a bit unsure about how to proceed. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Tent sites are tiny and close together at slickrock. I would recommend reserving two, side-by-side if you want more room. Or reserve an RV site, which have more room.

If you bring two rigs, your wife and kids can go hike in the parks and explore the area if they don't want to wheel. There are always seats available too if you can't fit everyone in the 40.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would recommend renting a pop-up camper and getting an RV site with water and electricity. The family will be much more comfortable. Gives the kids a place to go back to and feel like home.

The tent sites are in feet if I recall
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

There will be many, many, kids. We've been bringing ours since they were in the womb. They are now 3 and 4. The camp sites are small but you'll never really in it except to sleep. Lots of wandering around and hanging out in the street/tech/middle grassy areas. We pretty much take over the entire camp ground. There is a pool and swingset. Bring bikes for sure. Kids will be tearing it up and jumping over the tree roots. It's also nice for the wife to be able to bike into town. We bring tonka trucks, remote control cars are popular too. If you are unfamilar with the Moab area, there are suitable hikes/walks nearby, Negro Bill Canyon, Moonbeam canyon. Arches NP is 10min drive from the campground also. The friday dinner is great for kids, arrive early to hang out in your cowboy boots and hat and practice your lasso skills. The raffle runs long for the kids. The days on trail tend to be on the long side so bring food,drinks and warm clothes. Great oportunity to show off your 12v fridge and manifold cooking skills. Top kid friendly run is Elephant hill. Your sig line indicates you own 2 fj40's. One for you('73) One for the wife('75). problem solved.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

I brought everyone last year (wife + 7 and 4 year old), and they had a blast. There's no question the camping is tight, and people are on top of each other, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I'd never choose to camp there outside of this event, but in terms of feeling like your part of it all, and so your wife and kids can mingle with others of like mind and spirit, it's an overall great experience. My daughter still talks about some of the kids she met on the trails and played with at the swingset. My wife wasn't sure if she'd go on any of the runs - and ended up on two. And they're all coming back for more this year.

You always have the option of staying at a nearby hotel, or choosing a different area to camp and then meeting at the campground or at the meeting locations. But I think you'll be Ok at Slickrock - there's something for everyone.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

I don't have a family but have seen it from an empty nest view. There were a lot of good comments, these are the ones I think you should look at

1. Rent two tent sites
  2. bring bikes for the kids or rent
  3. Call the chamber of commerce now and get info
  4. Rent a tent camper ($330) a week
  5. Sign them up for a tour of the area, either by bike or Hummer
  6. Bring rain clothing and stuff to do in the tent
  7. Towels and suit for the pool
  8. A huge wad of cash ;-)
    Rent a RV pad, get electricity for a TV

That is all I can think of right now but I am sure there is a ton more to brong or do

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Jeff,

The wife and girls (now 5 & 9) have been to both CM '07 and CM '08. They like it so much that we are pulling them out of school to attend this year (in the past they were "off track"). We have a popup camper that we drag out to stay in. I'd suggest either getting a couple tent sites together or renting a RV site to pitch the tent in for more room. I wouldn't get a "cabin" if there are still any available because they are small for a family IMO. There is a playground at the campground and a pool. Unless it is really warm though I'd stay away from the pool

If the wife and kids like sightseeing there is plenty of that to do as well as riding bikes.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

yes the tent sites are real small but our two 4 legged kids do just fine. Like others have said you really won't spend a lot of time sitting in your own campsite. Even if you do the people on both sides of you will most likely be CM folk so who cares if its small. You can request a specific site too so check out where others are camped ( http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ead.php?t=8956 ) if you want to be surrounded by RS members.

The rest of the family should have no problem finding things to do in and around Moab if they choose to skip a run.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

My girlfriend and I have been goiing to Moab for years and lived there for a year last year exploring the area. There is alot of things to do for the family and kids, please do not hesitate to look us up or get in contact with us for some ideas for the family, wife or kids. Example, for the kids there are several hikes, short or longer to see dino bones and hundreds of dino footprints. We are not staying at the campground but will be out there a week ahead and hanging around Slickrock most of the time.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Rock Stacker

This will be my first time there. I will be bring my wife and two boys (4 and 6). They are an adventuresome bunch and we're really excited to be going. The question that I have is how large are the RV sites? I reserved #75 (at least that's what they gave me) and I just want to make sure it will be large enough. By the time I have everything pulled out on the camper it's about 20' X 25'. Also, I understand the overnight run is booked, is anyone interested in going out on Tuesday somewhere? I don't know the area at all but I am anxious to get the trailer out on the trail and do more primitive camping for a night.

2007 Kimberley Kamper
Waeco CF-80 Fridge/Freezer