Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Rock Stacker

I guess I wasn't there officially, especially driving the minivan, but we enjoyed the trip very much. Pritchett Canyon on Thursday was incredible...I didn't know trucks could climb obstacles like that. The trail leader broke down fairly early into the run, but the renegade group I was riding with just ahead of the official CM group made it all the way through without incident. We finished up top around 2:30. I have a new appreciation for the 80...we only had to winch twice. Thanks to the Redline guys for letting us ride along in their group... they had some very cool rigs...especially the Blue and White 55...what a beast!!!

Next year I will be official and be there with my own rig. After getting the motor running, more armor and a different axle configuration are definite musts!

On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today. We heard that someone rolled 2.5 times, not sure it that was true...if so, I hope they were OK!

Anyway, I want to compliment the organizers and I look forward to next year.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Marc Halverson from New Mexico had the same problem with his 40, Treeroot.
It happened on Golden Spike. We used the winch wrapped around stuff to get a good bite, then used ratchet strap to wrap the area and provide some movement. Then relaxed the winch a bit. It seemed to last all the way to camp. His broke before the first overlook, maybe at the ledges with the hole.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Toy View Post
I guess I wasn't there officially, especially driving the minivan, but we enjoyed the trip very much. Pritchett Canyon on Thursday was incredible...I didn't know trucks could climb obstacles like that. The trail leader broke down fairly early into the run, but the renegade group I was riding with just ahead of the official CM group made it all the way through without incident. We finished up top around 2:30. I have a new appreciation for the 80...we only had to winch twice. Thanks to the Redline guys for letting us ride along in their group... they had some very cool rigs...especially the Blue and White 55...what a beast!!!

Next year I will be official and be there with my own rig. After getting the motor running, more armor and a different axle configuration are definite musts!

On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today. We heard that someone rolled 2.5 times, not sure it that was true...if so, I hope they were OK!

Anyway, I want to compliment the organizers and I look forward to next year.
We shoulda gone with you guys... I was in the silver Runner, and we finally made it with Mike to Rocker Knocker and turned around... again. Bummer about Mike's rig. Are rear pinion's problematic on 40's? That's two in three days... (I know nothing about LC's.)

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Toy View Post

On Saturday, my friend Mike Calleja and his blue FJ40 broke his rear pinion near the end of the trail (I think on Hells Revenge...can't remember for sure). Joe went up there and helped him get it out. He towed it back to Conifer on the trailer yesterday...should be getting it fixed today.
It was Hells Revenge and VERY close to the end ... always a shame to end a run that way
Old 05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Rising Sun member

Most old Cruisers have coarse-spline pinions, which if you whack them on a ledge or get axle wrap going on they tend to break. I've done one in
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Honorary Canuck Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbluefj

i second what he said pinion flange and ledge's don't go together to well
Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Hard Core 4+

Awesome trip!!!!!!

Thanks all for the great work and hanging with me for the week. Gonna say highlight of the trip was the full day we had in Beef Basin, though wipe out comes in close, along with yesterday even though I got to bed around 2am this morning

A very BIG THANK YOU to all you hard work!

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 05-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Hard Core 4+

And thank you for your help on Wipe Out, Perry! (and all the others who helped) I'll not soon forget those kinds of good times.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

We had a wonderfull time!! thanks for showing us around beef basin Perry!

We stopped in frisco at about midnight and did the rest this morning.

Good times!!!!! thanks to all that got it put together!!
82 FJ40
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Reading about all of the carnage, and witnessing some of it first hand on the Saturday Wipe Out Hill run, we count ourselves very lucky

Pulled into Slickrock about 3pm on Wednesday...Backed the popup camper into place and the asked if the camper's tire was supposed to look like that? Huh? I look and dang if there isn't a 12"+ section of tread missing from the tire Not sure when it came off and I never felt a thing but we were counting our blessings it didn't blow coming down a hill etc. Thanks to Red Chili and the use of his floor jack, jack stand, and some 6x6 blocks of wood from him and Farnham I had the camper up on on the stand and wood and as safely propped up as possible so I could get the tires off (decided to just replace both) and replaced. We took Friday off from running a trail (Hells Revenge) and got new tires from Chip's place toward the north end of town...30 minutes in and out - an hour later the camper was back on wheels in camp.

The only other carnage that I am aware of was the cold water line to the faucet/sink broke off and sort of flooded the camper before we notice it - A trip to Ace, some Gorilla Super Glue, vice grips, and an o-ring plus 24+ hours or curing time and no more leaks the rest of the trip.

It was a great trip, great people, and GREAT leaders/gunners all around...Kudos to all

The worst part of the whole trip remains the drive and pulling that camper...Nothing more humiliating than getting passed by an 18 wheeler going up Vail Pass and to the Eisenhower tunnel...30mph, 1st gear, 4000-4400 RPM just sucks...But, my cooling problems of two years ago seem to be behind me as my max temp on both climbs was a mere 204F
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater