Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thumbs up Recycling Will be Available At CM 2009

There will be recycling at Slickrock Campground this year! Finally, a place for those empty bottles and cans!

Solutions of Moab (www.moab-solutions.org) all-volunteer trail cleaning and recycling program in Moab will be placing bins at the Slickrock Campground, picking up full containers and bringing us empties as needed. All this is FREE to us (I will be taking up a collection to buy them a tank of gas - $1-$2 will help)

So, please use the recycling bins and help out by not putting any trash in them.

Fine Print: I did this with no sanction from the CM Committee (I ran out of time) so if anything goes wrong I am responsible.

Here's how this all came to be: Before driving home from CM 2008 I was looking to drop off a bunch of bottles and cans. The Town recycling center is closed on Sundays . Ever resourceful , I "found" some bins in town . . . and promptly met Dave the owner of the Baja Grill -- they were his privately paid for recycling bins (). After some good schmoozing (i.e., ), he became sympathetic to the cause, did not make me take back the bottles (visions of Alice's Restaurant) and told me about Sara and Solutions of Moab. To make a long story short(er), Solutions of Moab has now coordinated with the Slickrock Campground to allow the FIRST EVER placement of recycling containers at the Slickrock Campground and CM. Sara also plans to write an article for their website, and I'd like to see one in one or more of our great Toyota publications!

See you all tomorrow in Moab.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Rock Stacker

Great idea!! Thanks.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

That's awesome! I had to haul two huge bags of bottles and cans back to Colorado for recycling last week. They were part my camps recycling , but also stuff I picked off the trail while in Utah. I couldn't find recycling ANYWHERE in Utah! So glad to hear that CM will represent.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Rising Sun Commander

this is great, thank you for doing all the legwork Daniel!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thank you

I just received this thank you note from Solutions of Moab. the Sheriff's poster she refers is great.

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much for the donation to Solutions. It helps us a lot.
We've just updated our website a little, check the home page and click on the picture of the truck for some sad news...
There are a few new photos on the projects and photo pages, and the poster of Sheriff Nyland on the Green Tips page. It's under "Off-road rules". I'm going to expand that section, but I wanted to get the poster up as quickly as possible.
Hope all's well in your neck of the woods.
Sincerely,

Sara Melnicoff
www.moab-solutions.org
P.O. Box 1549
Moab, UT 84532
259-0910

I also want to thank all of you that participated and the club as a whole for being open to this effort. I look forward to recycling continuing at CM10.
Daniel
Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

<<<Link!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

That's a great poster!

The sad news is that her truck is dead. Does that spell the end for them?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
The sad news is that her truck is dead. Does that spell the end for them?
I suggested she get a Toyota! But seriously, they had 350,000 on that domestic model. I'm sure they'll find another old clunker to recycle. I suggested she reach out to a manufacturer. I'm sure the right auto industry marketer would love the PR.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Daniel, +1000 for getting recycling in place! We will really need this in CM 10 at Area BFE as well.

I did some browsing at moab-solutions.org. I think this might be worth focusing on.

Links promoted on the website (emphasis mine), Recommended Websites to Visit:
Lots of decent links we would support. But among them,
Quote:
Red Rock Forests
Located in Moab, Utah, Red Rock Forests strives to protect the sky-island mountains and plateaus above America's Redrock Wilderness in southern Utah, emphasizing the La Sal Mountains, Abajo Mountains, and Elk Ridge in the Canyonlands Basin. They recognize the vital ecological role these ranges play in sustaining Utah's desert wildlife and waterways. For this reason, ecology is their guiding principle, though they use education, public policy, the law, citizen action, and collaboration with other organizations and agencies to achieve protection for these irreplaceable high desert oases.
http://www.redrockforests.org
Lots of admirable things there, that I am sure we can support. However, from their newsletters:
Quote:
Off-road vehicles that stray from trails are doing immense damage to the state, said Gov. Jon
Huntsman Jr., who has directed state officers to begin cracking down.
"It's an abomination, it's an embarrassment," the governor said Wednesday during a meeting with
The Salt Lake Tribune editorial board.
Huntsman said that he recently visited the area around Moab with David Bonderman, a prominent
venture capitalist and major financier for the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance
, to see the damage
done by illegal off-road travel.
"I wanted to get a sense of what the concern was, and it became a concern to me," he said.
You think he got a true overview? Or was the damage preselected? Of course it was - the worst of the worst, not the results of responsible users and restoration. We should be VERY concerned about SUWA having the ear of the governor. You can bet WE DO NOT. But Red Rock Forests presents the story sympathetically.
Quote:
This fall the Moab Ranger District of the Manti-La Sal National Forest will be evaluating trail usage and
possible trail expansion in several 'open' travel areas of the La Sals. This process is open to the public in a
number of ways--more information on this can be found at www.redrockforests.org/la_sals.htm--and you,
yes you, should consider it an opportunity to interact directly with your public lands. Trails don't decide
usage themselves. People decide usage, and though statewide the number of non-motorized trail users in
national forest areas is far greater than the number of motorized trail users, the latter are just really good
at interacting with this particular democratic institution.
ORLY? Who has the most money devoted to this cause? Who has the most lawyers? "Quiet Use" users are far from the underdogs here.
Quote:
ORV (off-road vehicle) users frequently create
their own trail systems, and then they push for these user-created trails to become legitimized by the
Forest Service. Non-motorized users need to be increasingly vocal to preserve their quiet brand of recreation.
Yep... that is where ALL OF THE ROUTES AROUND MOAB CAME FROM- legitimization of user-created routes. That is how it is done when it starts out 'open unless posted closed' and goes to 'no cross country travel, closed unless posted open'. They would deny preserving trails where land designation changes. This is more 'Quiet Use' stuff. While we can certainly support responsible use, this perspective would close all OHV routes if they could. (oh, and BTW, where ORV is used instead of OHV, the content is virulently negative toward OHV use over 90% of the time. We do not travel off road)

Along with preserving wild places from extraction development, Red Rock Forests advocates for trail closure, and attempts to organize green activists against our input. Just read the Summer 2008 Newsletter for yourself.
Quote:
Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA)
The mission of the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) is the preservation of the outstanding wilderness at the heart of the Colorado Plateau, and the management of these lands in their natural state for the benefit of all Americans.

SUWA promotes local and national recognition of the region's unique character through research and public education; supports both administrative and legislative initiatives to permanently protect the Colorado Plateau wild places within the National Park and National Wilderness Preservation Systems, or by other protective designations where appropriate; builds support for such initiatives on both the local and national level; and provides leadership within the conservation movement through uncompromising advocacy for wilderness preservation.
http://www.suwa.org

Wildlands CPR
This is the only national conservation group in the U.S. that specifically targets off-road vehicle abuse of public lands and actively promotes wildland restoration, road removal, the prevention of new road construction, and limits on motorized recreation. Learn more about them on their website.
http://www.wildlandscpr.org
Those speak for themselves.

I would be extremely hesitant about committing any Rising Sun funds as donations to Moab Solutions. Getting them to set up recycling... absolutely. We are responsible and it is good PR and besides, it is the right thing to do.

But would you like to see pictures of Area BFE and Cruise Moab show up in anti-"orv" activist publications? Would it be presented fairly?

At the very least she needs to know that these sites are moderately to virulently anti-Rising Sun, from our perspective. She may not have connected the dots.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

Bill,
Thanks for the research. I think Moab Solutions is focused on keeping areas clean and that alignment results in some overlap. With them it was always only about recycling since the Moab recycling center is closed on Sundays when we all head home. But to your observations, I don't take them to be anti OHV. Plus, our modest donation did little more than cover their costs to haul our recyclables.

In Rising Sun we always spread a positive message about responsible use and responsible users. But some people will never see our perspective. And as with most all things, a few bad apples spoil the bunch - from both sides. How do we educate reckless ATV users who go off-route in "designated route" areas (i.e., breaking the law)? How do we educate rabid environmentalists who want to shut everything (i.e., taking away rights established by law)?

Would we want Rising Sun to be one of the "Recommended Websites to Visit"? Should we have a prominent environmental policy on the website?