Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Wincher

Default Welcome home CM HAM'ers...

It was really cool hearing you guys and gals on the Colorado Connection repeaters today. Welcome home from Moab.

Nakman was the first that I picked up, then I heard TreeRoot and Groucho, but couldn't reach you on my somewhat limited HT from home in Wheat Ridge.

"QRP isn't everything"...

..."but it's all I've got!"

Brian I hope the info I forwarded RE the Cheyenne Mtn repeater being down was helpful. I hope they don't have any trouble installing the new antennas and tuning the repeater back up today.

Cheers!

Call Sign: KD0DHK COHVCO: #4409 AMA #222838

1997 White Toyota Tacoma (aka TruckWagon)
2007 Blue Suzuki DR 650 (aka TigerCub)
2002 Roulette Green Triumph Tiger 955i
2003 Silver Triumph Tiger 955 (RIP)
Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Commander

that was fun today when the "net" was in full swing- literally from Utah to Vail. Was also fun talking with a few of you on simplex along the way as well, sure makes the drive go by faster and it's a great way to get to know some other club members a little more. Can't wait for next year, 73's for now.

Oh, and my one trail damage was following Hants on Steelbender, a tree branch snapped my Comet SBB5 antenna. I think I'm going to try a Larson next.. or one of the homebrews.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I enjoyed "skipping" along the repeaters between GJ and Denver - my first real experience with the power and range of the Colorado repeaters. It definitely makes for better entertainment than listening to "Kids Bop 3" for the 4th time....

- Matt, aka F'in Quick Quasar
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
I enjoyed "skipping" along the repeaters between GJ and Denver - my first real experience with the power and range of the Colorado repeaters. It definitely makes for better entertainment than listening to "Kids Bop 3" for the 4th time....

- Matt, aka F'in Quick Quasar

Even with the repeaters and HF talking to the east coast I still had to listen to kids bop 3 100 times. I need to find an incinerator for that thing!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

i was on for a little while towards the evening and didn't hear anybody.. but I maybe wasn't on there too long. My radio can't monitor another station so I stayed on simplex at low power the whole way back chatting with allison behind me.

we made it to frisco at about midnight and stopped there. Maybe we were too far behind the group.
82 FJ40
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

I was on the Denver repeater while mobile in Evergreen and heard Nakman and Groucho before they climbed Vail Pass.

That repeater system is pretty darn powerful. I was listening all the way across CO and I even made a contact with someone in Fort Collins when I was about 30 miles West of the Utah Colorado border and hitting the Grand Junction repeater. :where's the tinfoil hat smiley:

'85 FJ60
Old 05-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting... Treeroot and I were trying to hit the Glenwood, the Vail, and the Breck repeaters without success... ???
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
:where's the tinfoil hat smiley:
risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat1.gif, tinfoilhat2.gif, tinfoilhat3.gif, and tinfoilhat4.gif... sandwiched by the img and /img things with the brackets.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

I drove back in the 40 on Saturday and would have loved to use my radio but I could not hear anything other than the wind through my blown top zippers. I also had in a great set of ear plugs that made things bearable. I really like that overdrive--I was doing 80 mph/~2500 rpm at times.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Time for me to move up to a mobile rig!

I heard Nakman, Bruce Miller, Nathaniel, and Ross all chatting it up from about 50 miles before Grand Junction. IIRC from the position reports Nakman was in front of Bruce Miller on the Vail repeater, Nathaniel and Ross were behind them on the Grand Junction and then Glenwood Repeater. I could hear them but apparently the little 5W of my VX7R wasn't enough to reach them, even when I finally got into Grand Junction. I did chat a bit with Treeroot via the Grand Junction repeater when he heard me calling but no one answering and decided to let me know my HT was working

It was really to know the distances that I could hear what was going on ahead of me...

Hey Nathaniel, are you missing some other kids CDs? I found some more in the LX while cleaning that I don't recognize so they may have made the trip home with us
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater