Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Interesting my post in February didn't quite hit this interest level.

I think the simplest way to allocate use would be a revised cost structure on fuel.

Do I feel like doubling my registration fee on my Civic is reasonable while an OTR semi w/ Kansas or Nebraska plates uses our bridges is fair? No.

Would it be if they put a few extra cents into state coffers when fueling in CO? I think that might be better.

It will be an interesting voting season...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCruise View Post
Interesting my post in February didn't quite hit this interest level.

I think the simplest way to allocate use would be a revised cost structure on fuel.

Do I feel like doubling my registration fee on my Civic is reasonable while an OTR semi w/ Kansas or Nebraska plates uses our bridges is fair? No.

Would it be if they put a few extra cents into state coffers when fueling in CO? I think that might be better.

It will be an interesting voting season...
They'll just fill up in Wyoming or Kansas where it's cheaper. You can probably drive all the way across Colorado both ways without filling up so if we just impose more gas tax then truckers will only buy what they need to make it to Utah or New Mexico where gas is cheaper again.

But the trucks that stay in Colorado would be duly punished, so there's something. nothing is perfect.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

IMO ( again ) the OTR rigs are not an issue. They pay their share when they hit the scales at the border.

This part is more troublesome ...
(III) THE BRIDGE SAFETY SURCHARGE SHALL NOT BE IMPOSED ON
11 ANY RENTAL VEHICLE ON WHICH A DAILY VEHICLE RENTAL FEE IS IMPOSED
12 PURSUANT TO SECTION 43-4-804 (1) (b).

A fuel tax increase would get rental cars the surcharge misses.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tch2fly View Post
...so we will have to agree to disagree
I disagree. Where does that leave us?

But seriously, I'm still pissed that government sold the name to our new Mile High Stadium. If Invesco wanted their name on it, they could have paid for the entire thing.

Instead, we all are paying for it, but they get their name on it for a very small percentage of the total cost. (They paid $6 million out of a total cost of $364 million and change). I would have preferred to have paid an extra $10 and kept the Mile High name.

Again, the cheaper option is not always the better option.

I just hope in 2021 (when Invesco's naming purchase expires), they revert back to Mile High and keep it that way.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
I disagree. Where does that leave us?

But seriously, I'm still pissed that government sold the name to our new Mile High Stadium. If Invesco wanted their name on it, they could have paid for the entire thing.

Instead, we all are paying for it, but they get their name on it for a very small percentage of the total cost. (They paid $6 million out of a total cost of $364 million and change). I would have preferred to have paid an extra $10 and kept the Mile High name.

Again, the cheaper option is not always the better option.

I just hope in 2021 (when Invesco's naming purchase expires), they revert back to Mile High and keep it that way.
Name:  gaaah.gif
Views: 29
Size:  5.5 KBNow you will get me going

I see no reason for City and County of Denver to have spent a dime on that stadium .... regardless of the name. It isn't what I want or need the government to do. I want government to support the societal infrastructure i.e. schools, police, fire, roads/bridges etc...
building sports stadiums for private enterprise is NOT something they should be involved with.

Name:  myworld.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tch2fly View Post
I see no reason for City and County of Denver to have spent a dime on that stadium .... regardless of the name. It isn't what I want or need the government to do. I want government to support the societal infrastructure i.e. schools, police, fire, roads/bridges etc...
building sports stadiums for private enterprise is NOT something they should be involved with.
I completely agree with you -- I voted against it. But the majority of people in the Denver area disagreed. I thought the whole thing was a boondoggle to line the pockets of Pat Bowlen, who ain't broke to begin with.

But since I'm paying for it, it pisses me off that Invesco gets their name on our stadium. I would have rather paid the extra $10 to have maintained the original name.

One of the women who works with my wife is a lifelong Coloradan. She told my wife, "You just don't understand -- you haven't lived here all your life." Apparently, her hypothesis was that any native-born Coloradan understood that the Broncos were important enough to earn a free stadium. Those of us from out-of-state just didn't get it.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Quote:
One of the women who works with my wife is a lifelong Coloradan. She told my wife, "You just don't understand -- you haven't lived here all your life." Apparently, her hypothesis was that any native-born Coloradan understood that the Broncos were important enough to earn a free stadium. Those of us from out-of-state just didn't get it.
My folks and I have lived here all of our lives. We are Coloradans. We didn't and don't approve of our dollars paying for the Broncos stadium. No private enterprise should be able to benefit from public dollars. Don't misinterpret what I am saying. If a private contractor is mowing the lawn at the state Capital, they should be paid for the job. The Broncos might have an indirect effect on the local economy, but I don't think it is to scale with the benefits they have as a private enterprise in Denver.

There are too many people who blindly and unequally speak out about private enterprise receiving public money. Some say that it is wrong and against the public's interest to subsidize rail travel in this country. These are the same people who turn a blind eye when the airline industry gets billions in subsidies all the time. If anyone ever asks me why public rail transport in the country is so far gone from those of Europe and other places, I tell them its because we would rather support individual travel alone than support both. Not because we don't have the infrastructure, because we tend to spend our public money to improve air travel.

Government spending should be on those things we as individuals cannot perform on our own. Private enterprise should not get their interests paid for by public money. If Denver wants a sports franchise, we should buy it and have it state run. Whats that? No player will come and play and win for $50, 000/year? Now you know how other state owned operations feel when they barely scrape by and are poorly run (not badly, just falling short of meeting expectations due to financial limitations).
Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Faulty hypothesis ... or I need to turn in my Pioneer plates cause I don't get it
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Trail Ready

You voted for change and you got it! Higher Taxes, more government regulations. It's Jimmy Carter time again.........

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman View Post
You voted for change and you got it! Higher Taxes, more government regulations. It's Jimmy Carter time again.........
What on earth are you talking about?