Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Ham buyers guide Thread

If you are looking for a new HAM radio or interested in some of the HAM communities out there like 4x4 HAM groups.

I think this thread will be helpful.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ers-guide.html
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Neat stuff, thanks!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Not to gloat, but...

I did notice that 1911 posted in his write-up (very nice, I must say) that their are "paid courses available" specifically by Gordon West. This info is priceless, because the Gordon West stuff is top notch. While this is great knowledge for all, being a part of Rising Sun takes it a step further. Rising Sun is the only wheeling club I know of that actually has annual classes and starting this year a VE team to administer the tests! One stop shopping, and all for free (except for the cost of the exam)!!

Chris, I saw that you are interested in getting your license, and there is still time to do so before the Summit! Plus, there is a plethora of study and info aids here, so if you need something, don't hesitate to ask!! We have been piecing together many items of interest and help regarding the integration of HAM and wheeling. Check out the sticky section of the HAM and CB Corner to find out more.

As you see by 1911's thread, HAM is something that speaks for itself. When I started pushing to get people away from CB and into Amateur Radio 5 years ago, it was a tough sell. Most people though that since CB didn't have a license requirement, and everyone they ran trails with was setup with CB, that HAM radio was for geeks in their tighty-whities, in the basement talking to others like them on the other side of the world. They thought that there was no way that Amateur Radio could be integrated as part of this hobby; too many microphones and another thing to break, plus someone was always left out of one or another conversation. But with persistence, a few people took the first RS class and the seed was planted. Now, 5 years later, we have 60+ licensed Amateur radio operators in the club, and over half of them use their radios regularly, club runs or just driving to work. 20 of those received their test from other RS HAMs!! While their are definitely those in the hobby who fit the aforementioned stereotype of the tighty-whities, there are also loads of folks who all share some of our enthusiasm for similar things like wheeling and radio.

The allure of HAM radio is undeniable. The range is superior for our use, and the level of courtesy experienced as a HAM makes it all worth the effort. No rebroadcasting of music, no profanity, etc. Heated arguments, casual conversations, emergency communications? Yes. Respectability? absolutley! Its real life, not sterile.

HAM it up!!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Chris, you're a smart guy. Buy the book, take some online tests, and go take the test. The classes are excellent (including our annual RS class), but not necessary to get your technician's license. I did it all on my own, and it's not hard at all.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default The test IS easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Chris, you're a smart guy. Buy the book, take some online tests, and go take the test. The classes are excellent (including our annual RS class), but not necessary to get your technician's license. I did it all on my own, and it's not hard at all.
Exactly. Then, when you have your license, drop by here every once in a while and pick up on the jargon and good operating practices that are what is missing from the exam. The exam is easy, operating properly is the part people try to fudge. By just using the book, you won't pick up the street smarts that is inherent to the use of the license. I always tell people, the key to being a great operator in Amateur Radio is to listen! listen! Listen, then transmit. Here is some really good information about what to do and what not to do.

I will put in my standard disclaimer here:
Amateur Radio is a hobby enjoyed by millions of people worldwide. It knows no boundaries or countries. It is a hobby that has significant opportunities for all operators. Tinkering, modifying, experimenting, these are all advantages we have. We self-police, and we take our privilege seriously. Good operating practices, emergency communications, goodwill to all HAMs and enjoyment of the hobby are all part of our core values. No matter if just for trail use, or world-wide communication, Amateur Radio holds true the core values that separate it from other, non-licensed forms of radio communication. Be kind. If you intend on distinguishing yourself from those who operate other non-licensed forms of communications and hold HAM Radio's values in high regard, Welcome! Otherwise, CB is your choice.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
x2 (except for the "smart guy" part). Self-study is definitely doable if your schedule doesn't work with the classroom learning.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I talked up the ham radio on the run I lead to Chicken Corner at Cruise Moab this year. There was a bunch of interest from different people, especially since I talked about how I could hear CM attendees on other runs.

Then one guy asked, "What's the deal with having to get a license in order to use this? It seems stupid and elitist to have to get a "license" just to use a better form of a CB radio."

I responded that Ham radio was "amateur radio," and has a long history in the U.S. as a hobby. I said that getting a license meant taking the time to learn how to use it, what's an allowable use, and even a little history. I mentioned that many innovations in radio communications had actually been developed by the amateur radio community. Finally, I said that the license test wasn't difficult, and the license isn't expensive.

I think I did an OK job of responding, but he put me on the spot. I've never gotten a question from someone who was actually hostile. Most people are either interested as soon as they hear about it, or think I'm a huge geek enjoying a hobby that only geeks would like.
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

Old 05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Elitest? Hardly. More like loosely regimented.

It's funny you mention that. I have dealt with the same reaction from members of the RS community especially in the beginning. The idea that it just can't be used "at will" really bothers some people; sometimes and surprisingly those same people tried for a license "way-back when" and failed the code, so they gave up.

Anyone who honestly perceives Amateur Radio as elitist requires coaching. As we all know, a license to operate anything does not make it elitist; it is just a way to determine some sort of basic knowledge and skill. Who would seriously opt for a surgeon to do brain surgery who didn't have a license to practice medicine? Not me. As the same goes for medicine, HAM radio requires a license not to determine if someone is an expert operator, but instead it attempts to determine rudimentary knowledge and skill. The license to practice medicine doesn't make the guy a premier brain surgeon, it just determines that rudimentary skill and knowledge. I wouldn't go to a surgeon who didn't have a license, because the license indicates that the surgeon possesses some skill in order to pass the test for the license.

Most hostile reaction to a new idea is due to lack of understanding. The guy could have been thinking "why make me throw away my $300 CB, sign up for classes that I won't understand, pay for a license, buy newer, more expensive equipment, when what I have works." Anyone here will tell you that a good 2M setup can cost less that a mid-grade CB setup. Now the tough part about that coaching is getting through the barrier of change. Once that is done, they almost always become advocates for the cause.

Matt, I applaud your efforts. Not saying it would ever happen, but if CM was to go all 2M instead of CB, we still would be called elitist, just like we could be called elitist for only allowing Toyota's in our club. It isn't a correct assumption, but that is what some people would think.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Rising Sun Ham Guru

Default Made the first post a sticky.

'cause we have been talking about comparing radios for a week or so, I thought it would be a good thing to sticky and lock the beginning post.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Name:  fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  127.7 KB