Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Trail Ready

Default Bought a domain for my website..now what?

I'm venturing out to start a small side business, and I registered my domain name last night on namecheap.com due to very positive reviews there. It feels good to get the first baby step over, now comes the work.

I am wondering if anyone here has a good resource they have consulted for building websites, choosing web hosts, etc. like a discussion forum, a favorite book or blog.. I'm very new at this process and I'm honestly not sure what the next step should be. I am pretty confident that I need to find a web host, and many recommendations I've read say to choose one that's not the same place as where you register the domain for security reasons. I think after I get the web hosting, I would need to use something like Wordpress to build the website. I took an HTML/CSS class a couple years ago to build a blog, but I never hosted it so it just a play thing on the side. I don't mind putting in the work and learning lots, I'm just wondering if the good folks here having an idea of some places to get started on the learning!

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Lifted

I use BlueHost for my company site. They host and have site building tools which makes building one a breeze. If you can navigate most forums easily, you could figure out how to build a decent site through them. Heck, I am not very computer savvy but I figured my business site site myself. Check it out here: www.bruckerbrothers.com
Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I have a lot of experience with this topic, so here goes.

First, NameCheap was a good choice as a registrar. I have a ton of domains over at GoDaddy and it's too much hassle to switch, but if I was starting out now, I would probably choose NameCheap.

Second, you should attempt to avoid any of the web hosting companies owned by the Endurance International Group. They now own Host Gator, which was previously excellent. We had 3 full days of outages on our dedicated server with them in the last year alone, and have now moved all our websites to In Motion Hosting (link below). Here's the list of which ones to avoid:
Endurance International Group

...and yeah, this website (Rising Sun) is still on Host Gator. For now, anyway.

Third, I have a couple of suggestions for companies that do solid web hosting:
1996 FZJ80 · TLCA #4189 · WŘRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers · my Rising Sun bio · Facebook · Twitter · Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Trail Ready

Great info! I had read that about that group purchasing some hosts and the service going way, way down. Some older posts had raved about Host Gator then the opinions tanked after becoming part of the EIG. I've been learning a ton in the last 2 days

Now you can Rent a Ducati in Denver!

www.RentYourAdventure.com
http://facebook.com/RentYourAdventure
Old 05-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Trail Ready

Think about getting a wordpress site. Buy a theme you like and load it into the site. My host, iPage, has wordpress built in. I am a little web davy (no programming) and can navigate it with ease.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:53 PM

I recently bought and hosted a domain through godaddy. I can't recommend it. I used to make web content for a living but didn't want to be bothered with writing a bunch of code so used godaddy for its web building tools. Ended up having to write a lot of code anyway cuz there site was so cumbersome to use.
KEŘITH